Saturday 21 September 2019

You need to listen

It doesn't matter how well you speak a language, if you can't understand other people then you can't really communicate with anyone. Expanding your vocabulary is an important step, but the next biggest thing is getting used to hearing the language as spoken.

I'm taking a dual approach here - cartoons to hear things I have a chance of understanding, and radio to get used to hearing day to day conversations, even if I won't understand most of the words.

SBS radio have an archive of Serbian podcasts, so I've been listening to those as background noise while I'm doing things around the house. When I want to sit down and watch something, I've been watching Peppa Pig (Peppa Prase in Serbian) as the dialogue is pretty simple and matches what's happening on the screen.

Still in this early useless stage, but it feels good so far - I'm up to 150 words and am being mainly held back now by how quickly I can make new flash cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment